Character Development (The Lack of)
This is my opinion. Don’t get your panties in a bunch if you get offended by what you read. It’s not going to affect the very fabric of your existence. Trust me.
Before I start this rant, I’m going to tell you a little story. (It’s relevant I swear).
Once upon a time I was in a school roleplay. In this school roleplay was a girl who played a bitch and for about two days she played her very well. Okay, I love playing bitches, they’re great. I play a few bitches and sometimes I can be one. But there is a huge difference between being a bitch and a sadistic psychopath.
So my character was really sweet, I mean, you could lick her and she’d taste like candy. Her mother died right before she came to the school she went to and she was pretty torn up about the whole event. Sometimes she was sad and depressed and sometimes she cried, its natural, she just lost her mom. So lemme tell you what this asshole did with her character. So her character asked what was wrong, which was weird as fuck in the first place, and my character told her that she was missing her mom. So the bitch decides she wants to say, “Oh that’s all?”. I’m like, “Okay, she’s a bitch, lets see where this goes”. My character gets offended, naturally, and says that was mean (because this girl is just sweet as candy) and this godmodding bitch decides to magically pull a picture of my characters mother out of her purse and light it on fire….
So everybody is just looking at the dash in fucking shock. FIRST OFF, where the fuck is the development to this little event? Our characters have never spoken, I’m serious, they’ve never said a word to each other. SECOND, where the fuck did you get a picture of her mom. THIRD, that’s being a bitch, but nowhere in the bio did she say that she was a malicious psychopath. The girls on Gossip Girl are bitches, Santana Lopez is a bitch, you. ma’am, are not portraying a bitch. You’re portraying a future serial killer. Then she had the nerve to say “Well you said she was a bitch”. *insert “da fuck” look here*
If you are going to do something along those lines, do it right. Don’t have your character magically fucking be a certain way, that is not the way it works. Stick to the bio and have your character grow from there, DO NOT have your shy, virgin character suddenly become the slut of the school so that she can fuck One Direction. I’m not even kidding, it is the most annoying bullshit to see zero character development. I know I’m not the greatest when it comes to growing my character, but fuck, I don’t let Leah go around completely forsaking her beliefs and telling people their future (in case you don’t know, Leah has the ability to see the future). If you’re character is shy and you want to have her become a slut, that’s fine. Throw in a first kiss, a boyfriend who screws her over and she decides to go off the deep end. THAT is better than having her start out with a meek “Hi” and then a few replies later she’s in the supply closet with Justin Bieber.
Show a little character development when you do things with your characters. Whether its relationships, friendships, ANYTHING. You will grow as a writer and you annoy people a lot less. Don’t be a bitch and decide that your character (who ALSO lost her mother) is going to light a picture of someones deceased mother on fire. That’s bullshit and you need to check yourself.
- shishimato reblogged this from irant-rpc
- jolie-noelle-senior likes this
- cecilwrites reblogged this from irant-rpc
- ladyagrabah reblogged this from irant-rpc
- forsakenrps likes this
- deathgoddesshela likes this
- flutterqueen reblogged this from bittersweet1x1
- swiftyhelps likes this
- bittersweet1x1 reblogged this from irant-rpc
- thedeathramp likes this
- dbradberyhelps likes this
- keir-reviews reblogged this from irant-rpc
- mokanatwins likes this
- biowarefangirl likes this
- moodyphotoshopper likes this
- keeperofdreams likes this
- inspiretherude likes this
- shortlivedmassmurderer likes this
- edwardkenwayrps said:You’re more or less describing 2/3 of the RP community. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, LOL WHAT IS DAT? THREE-DIMENSIONAL CHARACTER, LOL IUNNO WAT U TALKING BOUT? REALITY, HAHA I BET DAT IS A WORD U MADE UP.
- alexis-rps likes this
- bittersiha reblogged this from the-hardyest-critic
- bittersiha likes this
- kanyeroleplays likes this
- the-hardyest-critic reblogged this from irant-rpc and added:
- thenightmarebegins-rp likes this
- bittersweet1x1 said:Praise.
- wolfsbanerpc likes this
- irant-rpc posted this